Service Desk Integration
SINCE VERSION 6.2
Agent based licensing only
Email This Issue supports Service Desk 2.3.x and later versions using Agent based licensing.
Level of Integration
Email This Issue integrates with JIRA Service Desk in the following ways:
- Outgoing emails and event notifications support participants and internal comments
- Email channel to create requests from emails with full support of Email This Issue features
- Creation of customers from email senders
- Creation of participants from email recipients
- Rrequest status transitions upon comments added via emails (move to Waiting for Support or move to Waiting for Customer)
Email This Issue event notifications and mail handlers can substitute the corresponding Service Desk components if you want to benefit from the bunch of great features and enhancements.
Request Participants as Email Recipients
Service Desk's Request Participants field is now awailable as recipients of outgoing emails.
Request Participants Added Notifications
If a customer is added as a Request Participant, Email This Issue will send notification to the customer. Notification email has a predefined look and content, but a custom email template may be created.
If you want to customize the email, you must do the following:
- Create a new template and select base template: Service Desk Request Participant Added Notification
- Modify the template according to your needs. See below the variables you can use in the template.
- Do not remove or modify the Category of the template, that must be Service Desk Request Participant Added Notification.
- Save the template
Email This Issue will look for a template with category Service Desk Request Participant Added Notification. If a template is found in this category, it will be used to send notifications to participants, otherwise the default invitation template will be used.
Variables available for Service Desk Request Participant Added Notification template:
|$project||The Service Desk Project object|
|$issue||The request issue to which the participants were added|
|$sender||The sender use of the emails (customer or agent). It is an ApplicationUser object.|
|$participant||The newly added participant. It is an ApplicationUser object.|
|$linkToIssueInCustomerPortal||URL to the issue in the customer portal|
|$linkToCustomerPortal||URL of the customer portal|
Service Desk Aware Event Notifications
Email This Issue event notifications is superior to JIRA's build-in Notification schemes as it comes with lots extra features JIRA does not have.
With the advent of Service Desk Integration, two more improvements have been added:
- event notifications may be sent to request participants. Simply select Request Participants as seen above.
- furthermore, when you add an Internal Comment to a Service Desk Request, Email This Issue event notification makes sure that the comment is not sent to customers regardless if customers were added to the recipients. See below.
Service Desk Email Channel with Email This Issue
Email This Issue Mail Handler can be used to process incoming emails and turn them into Customer Requests in your Service Desk. Additionally to the features of the Service Desk Email Channel, Email This Issue Mail Handler comes with all the spicy additions like
- initialize issue fields,
- perform custom issue lookup for emails
- execute workflow transitions
- auto-acknowledge receipt of emails
- fire events upon processing the emails
- use multiple split regex to cut off old content
Email Channel is established via the Mail Handler Context set up with the processing strategy "Service Desk: Create or Comment Customer Request".
Email This Issue Service Desk ingtegration respects the settings in your Service Desk and does the following:
- if your service desk is open for public signup, Email This Issue will create new customers if necessary and notify them that they were added as customers
- In this case, do not configure the Incoming Mail Handler to create users, otherwise JETi will create users not customers
- If your service desk is not open for public signup and the sender email address is not recognized as a customer or JIRA user, then request is create on behalf of the default reporter (this is different from JIRA Service Desk, that ignores these emails)
- if Request Participants are enabled, Email this issue will add email recipients who are customers to the issue as Request Participants
- execute Service Desk workflow transitions (from Waiting for Customer to Waiting for Support and vice versa) when it is appropriate:
- if customer is commenting via email and the request is in Waiting for Customer, the issue transitions to Waiting for Support
- if agent is commenting via emai and the request is in Waiting for Support, the request moves to Waiting for Customer
- internal and public comments are supported:
- if customer is commenting via email, a public comment is added
- if agent is commenting via email, a public comment (like Respond to Customer) is added, it makes agents capable of responding to the customer via email without having to log into JIRA.
- if collaborator is commentinf via email, internal comment is added and Customers are not notifified about it
Default Reporter Needed
When creating Requests and Comments from email, please make sure that the Email This Issue Mail Handler is configured with a Default Reporter that has permissions to add issues, comments and attachments in the Service Desk Project.
Customer Invitation Emails
If the service desk portal is open for public signup and an unknown customer sends email, email this issue will create a new customer account and send an invitation email to the customer.
Invitation email has a predefined look and content. If you want to customize the email, you must do the following:
- Create a new template and select base template: Service Desk Customer Invitation
- Modify the template according to your needs. Make sure you do not remove the variable $!invitationLink from the email template. This variable renders the unique link that custmers can click to accept invitation and complete their registration.
- Do not remove or modify the Category of the template, that must be Service Desk Customer Invitation.
- Save the template
Email This Issue will look for a template with category Service Desk Customer Invitation. If a template is found in this category, it will be used to send invitations, otherwise the default invitation template will be used.
It is an ApplicationUser object.